> Do you think it's a generation gap thing? Or, like that
> recent article I read on DigitalSpy about the results of the
> DAB quality survey, people who don't vocalise their concern
> about lowering quality just don't fully understand what a
> good quality stream should look / sound like? Admittedly this
> is maybe bordering on digital snobbery ("What? Sub-4mbps
> bitrates in this video file? OUTRAGEOUS! JEEVES - GET THE BBC
> TRUST ON THE LINE IMMEDIATELY" etc...) but I do believe that
> a lot of people maybe can subconsciously detect that a stream
> or broadcast isn't great quality, but as they have no obvious
> benchmark to go against, or have no real grasp of the
> potential quality that can be achieved using even the present
> incumbent formats, they don't voice their concern or
> complaint about it?
I have a DAB radio and I confess I can't tell the difference between
(say) Radio 2 on FM and Radio 2 on DAB. I know some audiophiles who
look at me in disbelief when I say that.
And anyway it's actually a slight lie. When I try to compare them, the
thing I notice most is the FM hiss.
I'm far better on visual artifacts I must say. Interestingly though a
colleague of mine from BBC News told me that surveys have shown people
are far more likely to put up with a dodgy video picture if the sound is
clean and crisp.
-
Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group. To unsubscribe, please
visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.
Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/