Davy Mitchell wrote:
Good idea for a topic.

On 4/22/07, Jonathan Powell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm curious to hear what the Backstagers have to say on this matter.
It's only from discussions on mailing lists like this that I find out
about what technologies are good for anything.

To start the ball rolling,  I used python for Mood News as it had so
many libraries to do everything I wanted (GFX, Speech, RSS, FTP etc)
and also because of a neat file base DB system called Kirbybase. It is
nice and interactive so handy when you don't know quite where you are
going with an idea. Also mixing functional and OO programming is
seamless.

I might as well give a bit of my background, too.
Right now I'm having a sort of code-off against a friend of mine as we work on two versions of the same project (a professional-style profile/blog system working to roughly the same spec), but with different frameworks - he's using RoR and I'm implementing it in Cocoon/eXist. It's an interesting way to do it, 'cos we're two web developers with different backgrounds. He's excellent with databases and works as an ASP.Net developer, and I'm an HTML/XML forms developer. The 3rd guy on our project is the web designer. We've committed to the same final HTML output so he doesn't care what the end result is - both systems ought to result in identical output :D (whether this will work in practice is still to be seen, but early indications are pretty positive). Check out http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/ and http://exist-db.org/ for more info.

I'm a big fan of Cocoon because it adheres elegantly to the 'seperation of concerns' principle, making any design pretty simple to implement. On top of that, it's got a whole wealth of libraries ('blocks') and good documentation and demos so it's not too difficult to pick up something new.

He says he prefers RoR because Ruby is an elegant language and rails is the best rapid development framework he's used. I'm yet to be convinced :)

(I'm surrounded by
stick-in-the-muds at work - still using VB6. I had to explain what
'active record' was to the DB guy last month. Phfeh.)

VB6 is my day job too - Python in my spare time soothes my brain a bit :-)
Likewise. I see coding horrors on a daily basis at work. It's such a pleasure to use OO and actual web standards in my spare time :)
Ooops - have I started another framework war?
No.