On 14/06/07, Ian Betteridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The market tells me you're wrong: because people
still pay for content, a huge amount of it.

The people who pay for content production are advertisers. They are
becoming more interested in placing ads on digital files than in
printed media, because that's what people are looking more and more at
- especially the highly consumptive savvy types.

What makes Google and Yahoo et al so profitable is that they don't pay
for content production. Which makes us free culture people look like
Google shills, alas.

> That fact is borne out by the growth of the net and by ordinary people
> having a say and doing their own things: a lot of the stuff read,
> listened to, watched, etc today isn't being produced by "media people"
> it is being produced by regular people who now have access to tools
> which allow them to record and share their work.

That, frankly, is nonsense. For example, more magazines are being sold
in the UK than have ever been sold before: how does that fact fit into
your view?

Can you provide a reference for this claim? :-)

I was at http://stbride.org/events_education/events/newspaperdesign
and heard that the _only_ newspaper that is profitable today, apart
from the zero-price 100%-ads papers that have sprung up like mushrooms
lately, is the Daily Mail. I figured magazines would be the same, and
am genuinely curious to hear differently :-)

--
Regards,
Dave