Adam wrote:

> You could argue that computers started this way 25 years ago with a
> central mainframe storing all the data centrally and we moved away from
> this architecture due to limited connection speeds.

Or because the cost of running one big computer and a bunch of dumb
terminals became less of an issue, when you can buy a computer in
Tesco[1] for 200 quid

> With internet speeds increasing these online systems are very useful for
> the average user who sends emails, writes letters, etc, as they take
> away the burden of looking after software and keeping it up to date.
> This is something that most computer users don't always understand.

Right, this is something that operating system providers can fix, tho.

> Plus ask a group when the last time they backed up their documents and a
> majority would probably say never or too long ago to be useful.

Again, I'm not arguing against backups. They are useful things and
everyone could backup more.

[1] other supermarket chains are available

--
Matt Lee (mattl at fsf dot org)
Campaigns Manager, Free Software Foundation - http://www.fsf.org/

          Support our work - http://donate.fsf.org/