Billy Abbott wrote:
In order to get the gatekeepers to offer that software they need to have an incentive to do so. Apart from idealistic ones who are doing it for the reason of wanting the software to be free, I don't currently see what the incentive is for the others. While I'd like to be able to get the software (so that anyone can run their own service and also have the potential to grab the software and run their own service if their provider goes tits up) I can understand why people don't give it out for free.

Pleae let me know if I am missing a reason why people should, outside of idealogical reasons.

Well, if developers were more cautious about basing their applications on APIs with no Free implementations then that would give API providers an incentive. But they aren't, and I wonder why? As developers, what is it that makes the people on this list trust big web application and service providers to maintain their APIs for as long as you want them? Is it because you have a high level of trust for them, or a very short expectancy of useful life for your applications?