Martin,

Thanks very much for the reply.

On 23/01/2008, Martin Deutsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2008 1:59 PM, Brian Butterworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > A small question.
> >
> > There are a number of occasions where the schedule on channels is NEVER
> as
> > published!
> >
> > A good example the 10pm-10:30pm slot on BBC TWO.  Programmes in this
> slot
> > actually start never earlier than 10:02pm and usually end at 10:32pm,
> with
> > Newsnight starting at 10:33pm.
> [...]
> > I can understand for humans using the EPG, 10pm-10:30pm is good enough,
> but
> > if you PVR anything (Sky+, Freeview Playback, WMC) in this slot you get
> an
> > overrun from the previous programme and miss the end.
> >
> > Can something be done with the source data to fix this?
>
> To answer your question, something is already being done.
>
> - For major networks in the UK, the Present/Following information in
> the SI tables should roll over just before the actual programme start
> time. In some cases this is triggered directly from the playout
> system. Keep an eye on when Newsnight is on 'now' on a Freeview box to
> see this in action.

I had noticed that this happens on all Freeview boxes.  It used to be a
nightmare before at program junctions as the NOW and NEXT would become the
same.

- A "decent PVR" should pay attention to this, and record the
> entirety of the event - ie from when it becomes the 'present' event,
> to when it's no longer running. To get a 'digital tick', recievers
> should adhere to http://www.dtg.org.uk/testing/conformance.html , and
> the document "UK Digital TV Receiver Recommendations", which states
> this. (An event can actually be 'paused', for example, during a
> commercial break, but I think it's pretty obvious why none of the
> broadcasters would want to do this.)

I'm using the Windows Vista Ultimate Media Center, which is the best PVR I
have ever used.  A Sky HD box seems like a ZX Spectrum by comparision.  It's
connected to the TV using DVI and I've got a terrabyte to store stuff on.

But, as it a Microsoft product, it's only the Haupagge card that is
approved.  The EPG is fed from the Digiguide people, who have a feed
directly from the BBC.

The Microsoft system relys on the EPG, but it can do brilliant tricks when
you need to resole a clash (there is a limit of two decoders) like spot
other showing of the same epsiode, and you can set "series priorites".
Additionly it remembers your "series records" and automatically picks up the
same one next season.

- However, on Sky, the accurate EIT P/F is not carried across
> multiplexes, so your Sky+ box may just record from the billed start
> time. It should record all the way to the end, though - so with the
> 10pm programme, you may get a few minutes of the preceding programme,
> but it should continue to record until 10.32pm, when the next event
> starts.

Sky+ boxes have an automatic facility that records an extra few minutes if
it can too.

The second-accurate schedules of programmes could be considered to be
> commercially sensitive, so the broadcasters aren't so keen on
> publishing them in advance (for example, a broadcaster wouldn't want a
> competitor knowing about stunts where one programme will start a
> little early, or follow directly on from the previous with no
> commercial break, in order to stop viewers switching over to the big
> new show on the other side).

It's hardly a secret about these junctions, they happen every single day and
they can be seen on the live BARB graphs.

It seems incredible to me that the BBC is DELIBERATELY providing me (via
Microsoft) with inaccurate information.

If your PVR hasn't quite caught up with these developments though, you
> could perhaps try what Jason's suggested and add a couple of minutes
> either side.

*I* know I can do this, I just wanted to know why the BBC was providing
poisoned information.  Why should people who have paid for Windows Vista
Ultimate Edition have a poor service on purpose?

Hope this helps,

--
Please email me back if you need any more help.

Brian Butterworth
http://www.ukfree.tv