Caveat: I'm an amateur in this area who knows a bit because I run a MythTV
system. Be polite if you correct me.

Brian Butterworth wrote:
>     > I am saying that if the BBC knows that a programme is scheduled at
>     2202-2232
>     > then it should deliver that data correctly to the EPG providers.

Doesn't the EPG offer an advance 'target schedule' (as per Radio Times/TV Times
of old) to the nearest 5 minutes and a supplemental 'as broadcast' delivered via
the EIT (or whatever the OTA/OTC technology is).

Maybe an EIT/HTTP gateway would appear to be useful but I don't think it's that
simple.

Should an EPG even include 'as broadcast' information?

I'd say not.

>From a UI point of view I see an EPG as being a coarse grained forward planning
system for use by humans. The EIT can fine-tune a system to interpret an EPG but
not 'change' it.

Say I ask my PVR to record Dr Who on Thursday night at 7pm (1) - if a plane
crashes at Heathrow at 6:30pm and there is live coverage; Dr Who is cancelled.
So when I go and look at the EPG I see Dr Who has gone - what's up with that
then? Am I an idiot? I'm sure it was there...
Actually I still want to see the original EPG data supplemented with broadcast
data.

A different scenario is that the storyline in a show shows events that are
deemed inappropriate (eg showing 'Airplane' the week of 9/11) so the schedule is
changed a couple of days in advance - the EPG should change and may make mention
in the comments of replacing previously scheduled programmes.

(1) OK, for the record: I actually say 'record Dr Who whenever it's on and just
get one copy of each episode - go sort it out' and watch it when it appears in
my list. That's the benefit of geeky OSS for you though.

>     The BBC - and all the other broadcasters - don't publish the exact
>     start times of programmes anywhere. As I mentioned, the way your
>     Freeview box knows that Newsnight has started at 2232 is because at
>     2232, a flag goes up somewhere saying "oh, hey, you know that
>     programme that we said was on at 2230? It's starting in a few seconds,
>     so if you want to record it, now would be a good time to start." It's
>     how things worked in the damp string days of analogue with PDC, and
>     it's how it continues to work with DVB Event Information Tables.
>

> "broadcasters - don't publish the exact start times of programmes
> anywhere", which is not quite
So they don't publish it - they broadcast it - for free!! Using the same
technology you use to pick up the TV signal. In a well defined manner. The
buggers!

>     Your beef seems to be with the fact that your media player of choice
>     is using a listings guide that's based on the same information that's
>     provided to the newspapers for their listings pages, rather than a
>     service with live-updating cues, such as the one provided over the air
>     with DTT.
>

> That seems quite like trying to have it both ways.
See above - I think there are 2 ways for 2 different things.

>     In summary: blame Microsoft, not the BBC.
Always good.

> I'm not trying to BLAME anyone here, I'm trying to find out where the
> EPG information gets nobbled and make an attempt to get some to
> "acknowledge mistakes" and provide  "accuracy" in the data.
The data isn't any more of a mistake than any Gantt chart in existence. It's an
estimate with well bounded error bars (+/- 5 minutes). Surely you don't go back
and lie about the estimates you gave people do you?

> As far as I can tell with the Media Center, the DVB-T reception (or
> DVB-S as an alternative) is too abstracted from the PVR functions.

***WHAT***

So basically: My PVR is too brain-dead to pick up information from a different
software component and would all broadcasters, all over the world stop
broadcasting changes live, over the air with the programmes and move to a
centralised, polled. unicast model so we don't have to change our code?

Although that does sound like Microsoft software "engineers".

Whilst speaking to them wrt a major UK Telco they would often seem to wonder if
we could just change the PSTN to fit the way their instant messenger application
worked...

Can you feel the sympathy? <grin>

David