On 03/03/2008, Ian Forrester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  - XML/RSS/ATOM/JSON of upcoming iplayer programmes
>  - XML/RSS/ATOM/JSON of programmes about to drop off iplayer

How about a full iPlayer API so we can actually create programs that
use that data?
Screen scraping is hugely inefficient, to get a list of all iPlayer
programs and their details would take hundreds of page requests using
screen scraping.

Links to products relevant to programs in the API would be useful,
e.g. a link to the DVD of the series, however I think the Trust would
be a bit upset if you tried linking to Amazon or something similar
(might get away with a reference to the BBC shop though).

Of course if there are books that accompany the series then you could
list an ISBN, and it's not interfering with commercial markets as all
book shops can use ISBNs!

(OT: Do DVDs and CDs etc. have an equivalent of an ISBN? Should TV
programs themselves have some kind of globally unique identifier? If
so who do we get to assign such identifiers?)

And iPlayer video/streaming in a format/protocol programs can actually
use would be nice, how about Dirac than Kamaelia would be able to play
it[1]?

And the obligatory "Moon on a stick", see previous implementation[2]
courtesy of PuTTY[3].

Andy

[1] http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/Components/pydoc/Kamaelia.Codec.Dirac.html
[2] http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/moon-on-stick.jpeg
[3]
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/moon-on-stick.html

--
Computers are like air conditioners.  Both stop working, if you open windows.
                -- Adam Heath