I like the idea of this, hard sell but who knows maybe a prototype could bring this to life.

David Greaves wrote:
Ian Forrester wrote:
Hi All,

I was hoping to get a brainstorm of ideas for APIs and Feeds you would love to
play with in the near future, while focusing on Vision/TV

I got most of the obvious stuff like,
- A reference page or service for all programmes (/programmes in XML)
- keywords
Anything more?

I'm not sure of the scope of the above points...

Given concepts like crossover and product placement it may be worth looking at
in-program timing of generic 'objects'. eg:
 25:00-26:23 Music: Band:Ah-ha Track:Take On Me Album:...
 25:00-26:23 Actor: Bruce Lee Character: Benny
 25:00-26:23 Product: Coca Cola
 25:00-26:23 Actual Location : Slough GPS-coords:39729358734652
 25:00-26:23 Fictional Location : Monaco
for *that* famous scene :)

This does not need to be commercial - I could see it being used to identify
concepts in educational material too.

Who does this?
Well, collaborative approaches could be used (FreeDB/CDDB worked), some
companies would provide product/media info (would need guidelines), some
programme makers would find it added value (education) - heck maybe an actor's
agent would provide the data as part of the service (or the actor themselves if
they were on the 'bronze' package ;) )

Clearly this works when it's about providing meta-information rather than links
to a page. Those come from the apps using the meta-data.

Tied to this (and many of the other points raised) would be a UUID system for
uniquely identifying objects, resolving duplicates and possibly establishing
relationships.

Clearly one or two minor issues to resolve but...

David