Generally a great idea.

But why on earth is this being done this way?

The Astons on the channel carry the information anyway, and we know that
this can be fed into another computer system, as the MHEG5 version of BBC
Parliament.

I can't be that hard for BBC Parliament to provide the feed of information
that is used to generate the Astons (and the former MHEG5 service) as a live
text file (or something).