Hi - as part of the Digital Democracy project we will be looking at ways
to improve the quantity and quality of coverage, as well as tagging and
metadata developments, some of which will be automated and produce
better metadata at source.

One of the challenges here is that much of the metadata does not come
from the BBC. Lining up transcripts and other metadata with video is a
difficult to do reliably in an automated way as there is so much room
for error. Also the captions available at source are not a replacement
for the full transcript produced by Hansard.

There is a very early overview of the principles for the DD project
here...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/02/digital_democracy.html

The way MySociety have approached this simplifies a difficult task and
makes the video more accessible as a result.

It is a great way to democratise the process of democratising democracy

Cheers,

jod