Matthew,

I thought they were trying to do OCR on the captions from the DVB-T stream.

What I was saying was that the old Freeview version of BBC Parliament used
to have a quarter-screen picture and the information that is now in the
Astons was provided using MHEG5.  This was clear text (to keep the bandwidth
down) not bitmap graphics.

OCRing is never going to be brilliant, given the semi-transparent nature of
the captions on BBC Parliament.

However, a clear text feed of the data would keep the data pure, surely?

Sorry if I've missed something.

2008/6/4 Matthew Somerville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Brian Butterworth wrote:
>
>> But why on earth is this being done this way?
>>

> If by Astons you mean the superimposed captions, then if you had read the
> text below (and the blog posting linked to), you would see that we did try
> exactly that and it sadly just wasn't good enough.
>
> ATB,
> Matthew
>
>  The Astons on the channel carry the information anyway, and we know that
>> this can be fed into another computer system, as the MHEG5 version of BBC
>> Parliament.
>>
>> I can't be that hard for BBC Parliament to provide the feed of information
>> that is used to generate the Astons (and the former MHEG5 service) as a live
>> text file (or something).
>>

>  2008/6/3 Etienne Pollard <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>:
>> > See the blog posting at
>> >
>> http://www.mysociety.org/2008/06/01/video-recordings-of-the-house-of-commons-on-theyworkforyoucom/
>> > for the full announcement.
>>

>  > Matching up individual speeches to video cuepoints is actually done in
>> > two stages - firstly, the CaptionerBot makes an approximate match for
>> > some of the speeches in Hansard using the raw BBC captions, and then
>> > we ask the general public to improve on the work of CaptionerBot using
>> > our simple and addictive online game (league table, prizes, etc).
>>
> -
> Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please
>  Unofficial list archive:

http://www.ukfree.tv - independent digital television and switchover advice,
since 2002