Beat me to it steve:)
We have some code that allows you to author id3v2 tags in mp3s to indicate chapters
http://www.bbc.co.uk/opensource/projects/chapter_tool/
and some classes that read these tags out of mp3s enhanced in this way. Currently written in Actionscript, as the demo player is Flash based, but no reason you couldn't port if you wanted to. Would this be of any interest?
Alia

Steve Jolly wrote:
Tom Hannen wrote:
I guess all the consituent parts exist already - I was thinking more
of an app that would make it easy for you to skip items whilst
cooking, or washing up, or in the car etc.

If you have a CD player in the kitchen, it is very easy to skip to the
next track - you stop what you're doing for a second, and hit one
button.  The same isn't true of trying to skip through items on the
today programme - stare at the screen, grab the mouse, choose from a
number of links, and click on one.

Hit the space bar to hear the next item would be a nice feature.  I'm
not saying it should be part of the today website, just that if I had
any programming skills whatsoever, I'd like to make it!

I wonder if segmented MP3 podcasts would be an elegant way to enable this functionality?

Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group. To unsubscribe, please visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html. Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk/