2008/10/27 Rob Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "In the summer of 2007, freetards (me too), the OSC and others were
> calling for the BBC to make iPlayer cross-platform
> Cross-platform support has always been a source of grief"
>
> The BBC's insistence that this is the problem rather than their use of
> licence-fee-payers money to lock people in to proprietary standards
> and exclude free platforms is getting more and more shrill.
>
> Breaking your public's devices one platform at a time really is not an
> achievement, no matter how interesting a technical problem it is for
> the Beeb's geeks or how strong their new leader's RDF is.
>
> - Rob.
> -

Eh - I don't think you read far enough:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/10/history_of_the_bbc_redux_proje.html

> We needed a different approach, to divorce our content production from
> delivery format and method - something quickly adaptable to new devices and
> the unmentionable "C word": convergence. [2]

 I'm not sure how you read this - but the way I read it, this isn't about
technical solutions, instead it's about a "different approach" in terms of
philosophy.
The goal being:

> Redux was built to support the rapid development of new services and was
> designed to scale in many directions.

With a view to:

> The aim remains - people can choose their player; we don't need to care.

So religious on the production, agnostic on the technology.

--
Michael Walsh

Mobile: +44-(0)771-2524200
Mobile: +353-(0)85-1278212