On 23 Nov 2008, at 17:55, Brian Butterworth wrote:

To be honest, I have gone over it so many times I got the distinct impression - indeed a direct suggestion from a BBC person I very much respect - to stop going on about it, so I refer you to the podcast discussion because it is the most easily accessible backstage.bbc.co.uk archive.

If ( somewhere in ) an hour long prodcast is the most easily accessible presentation of your position perhaps you should post a text version you can refer people to? Or provide timings for those that want to use the podcast.

Basically, mathematically DRM is snake oil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil_(cryptography)

errrr yes I expect we all know that, but what has that to do with Microsoft's position on DRM in particular?

Not trolling - just trying to see what makes their take on it so different other than the fact that they are the evil Borg, albeit with a bunch of very clever smart people working inside it who don't necessarily all run windows. Microsoft is not a monoculture on the inside.