Andy wrote:
> 2008/12/18 Andy <stude.l...@googlemail.com>:
>> When is the actual platform neutral iPlayer coming out?
>
> Apparently this is the platform neutral version
>
>> The cross-platform nature of Adobe AIR means the iPlayer will work with Open
>> Source
>> and Apple Mac computers "out of the box" on 18 December, said Mr Rose.
>> It fulfilled the Trust's demand that the iPlayer be "platform neutral", he
>> said.
>
> Can someone here by me a better dictionary for Christmas, that doesn't
> match with what I thought neutral ment?
> The most appropriate definition for neutra I found is "not supporting
> or favoring either side in a war, dispute, or contest"[1]. Whats the
> BBC's definition of neutral?
>
> Can someone please explain how this is "not favouring" certain platforms?

I run Debian. It's a fairly popular distro, some of you may have heard of it.

But iPlayer doesn't appear to work on my system :(

I went to http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/
Then I went to the Labs.
It says "You are signed up for BBC iPlayer Labs. Start using iPlayer labs
features."

I did find http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/where_to_get_iplayer/

After about 200 clicks I gave up on finding a download of any kind.

Then it just plays online and has nothing helpful to say about working offline.
I didn't find anything on the BBC to tell me what to do.

Now I guess I need to go elsewhere for AIR and then it will magically work - but
where?

I did get "Our servers are too busy. Please try again later." a lot though.

David

--
"Don't worry, you'll be fine; I saw it work in a cartoon once..."