On 18/09/2009, Mr I Forrester <mail...@cubicgarden.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 22:04 +0100, Scot McSweeney-Roberts wrote:
>
>  >
>  > I think that there's going to be a lot of unhappy freeview HDTV owners
>  > wondering why the TV they have recently bought isn't picking up the
>  > new HD channels when they're launched (especially as the TV was
>  > probably sold as "HD Ready").
>
> But to be fair, whos's fault is that?

Cynically, who wants to guess what proportion of "HD Ready" TV owners
a) think they're already watching HD content on Freeview, b)
understand what "HD Ready" means, and c) bought from those clever DSG
staff who could answer b)?

A small gripe, even back in 2005, but the older  "HD Ready" standard
didn't require the TV to be able to display even a native 720p frame
without horizontal scaling. More importantly for the content
producers, it did have to support HDCP...

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott