From: owner-backst...@lists.bbc.co.uk
[mailto:owner-backst...@lists.bbc.co.uk] On Behalf Of Scot
McSweeney-Roberts
Sent: 30 September 2009 18:55
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: Re: [backstage] The BBC is encrypting its HD signal by the back
door

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 18:21, Nick Reynolds-FM&T
<nick.reyno...@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

        Cory's piece is inaccurate in many respects - see this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/09/freeview_hd_copy_protecti
        on_up.html
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/09/freeview_hd_copy_protect
i%0Aon_up.html>

Is there any explanation out there of how huffman lookup tables provide
"content management"? I'd like to have a better idea of what exactly is
being proposed and what the effect will be.

I think the statement "no existing Freeview boxes will be affected by
this whatsoever" near the top of that article is a bit of a Jedi mind
trick. Of course no freeview box on the market will be affected by
encryption/encryption-like techniques that might be used with DVB-T2,
but that's not the point. The point is that with DVB-T transmissions
people have been able to do what ever they want with them and I'm
guessing that the messing about with lookup tables on HD transmissions
will put a stop to that. If that's the case, then I think there should
be some public debate about it.

Scot