http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/09/freeview_hd_copy_protection_up.html

"We've said before that we are specifically avoiding encryption of the broadcast signal to ensure that the public service content remains free to air. Content protection gives content producers comfort to give consumers early and free access to more content, without jeopardising future revenue streams".

Stop the rationalisation and sophistry.

If you can't decode the compression, then it is effectively encrypted.

And making it available as FOSS (Free, Open Source Software), would effectively make the codes public.

Therefore this will be restricted (outlawed) by licence agreements.

Content Protection, DRM, call it what you will, this is selling the public down the river, once established the intention will be to maintain the system when HD becomes the standard.

And it seems the BBC needs all the friends it can get.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/how-cameron-cosied-up-to-murdoch--son-1795742.html

"Curb the BBC

Its income is guaranteed through the licence system, while the profitability of Sky television and the Murdoch newspapers depend on the state of the market. Mr Cameron is sympathetic."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/oct/01/murdoch-labour-bbc-brown

"A Murdoch-Cameron alliance could be formidably threatening to the BBC. As William Shawcross wrote of the elder Murdoch: "The power he has accumulated on the part of his allies is awesome to his enemies." The BBC often does its best to lose friends and generally annoy and irritate people. But, in the coming months and years, it is going to need all the friends it can get."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/04/welcome_to_some_new_initials_d.html

"This is clearly not a fully open and connected world - but we are absolutely committed to continuing to find ways to allow you to enjoy our programmes as you choose."

More sophistry, fully open and connected world is what we require of the BBC. There is a case against copyright (Intellectual Monopoly), and DRM witch extends the copyright monopolist control to consumer electronics and consumers.

The BBC needs to be aware that people will be outraged at the restrictions placed on their use of content they have paid for.

I for one, have an interest in this topic, and will act accordingly, now and in the future.

The BBC can not afford to alienate the public.

Stand on principle, no encryption, no DRM, by any name or form.

This is the legal requirement and what the public expect.