I agree technical schemes and disproportionate legal threats are
inefficient ways to combat illicit copying, and work should be done to
make copying licit.

However, the rights holders are not bad guys in the scenario, they
represent (for better or worse) people making a living through
creation.

How can they be compensated fairly for their work? A watermarking
scheme which counts downloads or views, and apportions revenues
accordingly? That would possibly mean a shift away from
overcompensation of big names and a reduction of middlemen, not bad
things.

Or perhaps the public should just settle for lots more mediocrity.

Sean.