Mo McRoberts wrote:

Not quite what I meant by “open market”. There was never a requirement
in the past for CE makers to join logo/licensing programmes to ensure
their kit worked—they just followed the specs. That wasn’t limited to
CE makers, either, which is how things like MythTV came to exist. FTA
isn’t that “anybody can receive the broadcasts [if they buy from one
of our approved manufacturers]” it’s “anybody can receive the
broadcasts provided what they have adheres to the open specs”.

Yes even a certification scheme, is likely to exclude Myth TV etc.
No hardware to certify, and the source code is constantly modified.

It’s harder when you’ve got Internet-based delivery, because you have
to hand over both the crypto mechanism and the decryption key to
something which is primarily under user control—it’s not a “black box”
in the same way that an STB or TV is. But, it’s not something those
doing Internet-based delivery don’t often attempt to do (look at
iPlayer Desktop, for example).

If internet delivery is the primary delivery mechanism, then it is likely to be a STB style black box, or built into the TV, at the consumer end. I think this is the intention, of the rights-holders. I would not be surprised if they attempted to exclude open hardware (PC's).