Ian Forrester wrote:
Hi all,

We're making some changes to the whole way backstage is setup and one
of those changes would affect this list directly.

MajorDomo is a pain and lacks the lovely new shiny features of things
like automatic archive, rss, thread notification, search, etc. But it
does have the advantage of email delivery, open and free signup.

So if we did decide to switch mailing system/message board, which one
would you all prefer?

http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html sounds like what you want. I agree with Fearghas McKay that forums are a world of pain (unless you want to employ full-time mods). Web-based systems with ancillary email functionality are generally pretty unusable IME.