Mo McRoberts wrote:
Re mailman, it's okay, but remember the archives aren't the prettiest:

<web developer hat>
if you can tweak the HTML ever so slightly, you can add some CSS to clean that up. The mark-up’s pretty much fine in all honesty.
</web developer hat>

I'm sure there are better examples but one of the most adventurous mailman setups I've come across is DCLUG:

Their archives are slightly modified:
http://www.dclug.org.uk/archive/2009/10/threads.html

To be honest, I've not had much of an issue with archives & mailman anyway. I find them heaps more logical and easy to navigate that google groups for instance.
(Ever tried looking through a google groups archive?)

They've even got search going on :
http://www.dclug.org.uk/archive/#search
and have it somewhat integrated into the rest of the site:
http://www.dclug.org.uk/

Tim