On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 08:07, Richard Lockwood
<richard.lockw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apologies - "Apple Hardware" rather than Macs.  Although Macs *are*
> primarily consumer hardware.  The amount of "tinkerability" has always
> been several degrees of magnitude below that of a PC.

Do you mean 'consumer', or 'non-hobbyist'? Most professionals have
neither the time nor the inclination to tinker with their PCs, and
most IT departments would really rather people didn't! It may seem
like I'm quibbling over semantics, but there's a bit of a gulf between
'oh, well, it's just consumers' and 'oh, well, it's just... everybody
who isn't a computing hobbyist'.

It's pretty moot, though:  the gravitation towards laptops means that
for many people it's a matter of changing hard disks and RAM, and
that's about it. Changing either in my MacBook is easier than any Dell
I've ever owned ;)

The Mac Mini is an utter pain, though. Not had to open up an iMac,
though I gather RAM replacement is easy. The Mac Pro apparently has
one of the best-designed cases ever.

M.