This is why I find the 9 days bit intriguing. In the "old" days I used to put
in 120  hour weeks, so I know exactly what you mean by addiction... the
interesting part is that the UK seems to have gone to part time contracts
where, as Simon says, you can work an 80 hour week with no overtime.
OK, you get days off in lieu, but in that kind of job I suspect that finding
the free days to take off could be pretty difficult... unless you take a long
holiday every summer... in which case the BBC office effectively "closes" for
that time.
I think that I can see this ending is all sorts of chaos. :-) In my case, we
did not get paid days off in lieu... so if you needed to sleep you had to
swallow the financial inconvenience. Neither way is perfect, but calling for a
contractual 9 day week seems somehow unsettling for me.
Looks like a great job though, they'd also prefer someone "uncompetitive" - now
that made me smile.
Regards
RichE