On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 13:49, Kieran Kunhya <kie...@kunhya.com> wrote:

> Wii isn't too difficult to figure out, though it's more complicated. I have
> actually had a little look at Wii iplayer myself to see how H.264 decoding is
> done on such a feeble device. There are lots of layers of encrypted data but
> people have figured out how to decrypt them.
> I think the ipad is a plain http stream - nothing fancy in that regard.

it's HTTPS. uses client certificates as an access-control mechanism.

it's easier  to get the RTMP streams delivered to the desktop iPlayer
than any of the alternative Internet-based mechanisms, and that one's
practically "difficult" to prevent for fairly obvious reasons.

mind you, it's even easier to pull the stream off-air if you remember
in advance...

(it was only this morning that I saw an advert for Sky+ which crowed
about the fact you can record an entire series and keep it around for
as long as you like...)