Les Mikesell writes:

> On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 16:13, Jon Scottorn wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 16:10 -0600, Brown, Wade ASL (GE Healthcare)
> > wrote:
> > > Also, are you rsync'n/copying individual directories
> > > ("/backup/cpool", "/backup/hosts", etc.)?  Or the entire "/backup"
> > > directory?
> > Individual directories because otherwise I run out of memory during
> > the sync.
>
> I don't think any copying technique will reconstruct hardlinks
> to things not in the scope of the current copy.  If you aren't
> including cpool along with the pc directories the hardlinks
> won't be duplicated.

That's right.  The hardlinks are all between the pc directories
and the cpool directory (and therefore implicitly within the pc
directories too).  There are no hardlinks within the cpool
directory itself.  Copying cpool and pc/* seperately means
that most of the hardlinks will not be reconstructed, and
therefore the size grows a lot.

I have been experimenting with a perl script that generates a large
tar file for copying the BackupPC data.  It computes the hardlink
info by knowing how BackupPC matches the cpool files, so it can
generate the correct hardlink data without caching all the inodes.
(It also includes an inode cache option for the case where the store
isn't too big.)  Since it's written in perl it won't be that fast.
It needs to read every file and compute the md5 cpool digest to
find the matching cpool file.  But it should be capable of copying
large stores without using too much memory.  I haven't tested it
very much but if you are brave I can email you a copy.

Craig