On 04/07/07, Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Stefan Degen wrote:

> /var/lib/backuppc has its own harddisk. The problem is, that the
> harddisk is full and there is no LVM or RAID.
>
> So is it possible to change the harddisk like this (without to
> lose the backups)?
>
> 1. stop backuppc
>
> 2. Install the new harddisk and set the mountpoint
> to /var/lib/backupc
>
> 3. copy all data stored on the old harddisk to the new one with
> rsync -H /old_harddisk /new_var/lib/backuppc
>
> 4. start backuppc

rsync -paH or something might be better, but because of all the
hardlinks it might take quite a while to copy all the data. The
fastest way to copy and preserve everything is probably to use dd to
copy everything to the new drive and then grow the filesystem
afterwards.

I have a dedicated disk for BackupPC it is using LVM. Can I use dd to
clone this to a newer harddrive?