enter the ZFS troll :)

if you run opensolaris or a BSD with ZFS you can use ZFS as a zraid and you
get the benefits of LVM, Raid5, and filesystem level compression all in one.

I have noticed ZFS to be very resource friendly under heavy load even with
compression and zraid enabled.

search google and you will see a dynamic zraid volume on 16 flash keys and
the filesystem remaining 'up' with 2 devices out and then rebuilt when they
are plugged back in without user intervention.  not to mention the zraid
made a pretty impressive 4Gb(256mb flash keys) array with smoking fast IO