Les Mikesell wrote:
> Toni Van Remortel wrote:
>>> Anyway, I'm preparing a separate test setup now, to be able to do
>>> correct tests (so both BackupPC and an rsync tree are using data from
>>> the same time).
>>> Test results will be here tomorrow.
>>>
>> So that is today.
>>
>> BackupPC full dump, with patch which removed --ignore-times for a full
>> backup:
>> Done: 507 files, 50731819 bytes
>> full backup complete
>> real    13m39.796s
>> user    0m4.232s
>> sys     0m0.556s
>> Network IO used: 620MB
>>
>> 'rsync -auvH --ignore-times' on the same data:
>> sent 48 bytes  received 108845 bytes  72595.33 bytes/sec
>> total size is 54915491  speedup is 504.31
>> real    0m16.978s
>> user    0m0.480s
>> sys     0m0.468s
>> Network IO used: 12.5MB
>>

>> Big difference.
>
> Was the previous backuppc full exactly the same as the local target of
> the stock rsync or had backupc been doing incrementals over a period
> when files were changing and the stock rsync run was updating the same
> place?  Backuppc will transfer anything changed since its last full.
> I'm not sure if this is affected by setting multi-level incrementals
> or not.

As I said: I prepared a backup set for this test. So I did a full backup
and an rsync yesterday. Meanwhile, neither BackupPC nor rsync pulled
data until this morning. So both systems were starting from the same
data, and were asked to update the same data.

Anyway, I'm leaving BackupPC for what it is until this is solved. My
main concerns now are bandwidth efficiency and clear backup disk usage
(which isn't really obvious with BackupPC).

--
Toni Van Remortel
Linux System Engineer @ Precision Operations NV