Toni writes:

> BackupPC full dump, with patch which removed --ignore-times for a full
> backup:
> Done: 507 files, 50731819 bytes
> full backup complete
> real    13m39.796s
> user    0m4.232s
> sys     0m0.556s
> Network IO used: 620MB
>
> 'rsync -auvH --ignore-times' on the same data:
> sent 48 bytes  received 108845 bytes  72595.33 bytes/sec
> total size is 54915491  speedup is 504.31
> real    0m16.978s
> user    0m0.480s
> sys     0m0.468s
> Network IO used: 12.5MB

There are two significant anomolies here:

  - The native rsync only sent 48 bytes to the remote rsync.
    That means it is not sending block checksums.  Somehow
    the --ignore-times option isn't taking effect.

  - Network IO used doesn't make sense: native rsync reports
    it sent 48 bytes and received 108K, but network IO is
    12.5MB.  Similarly, for BackupPC, the total files size
    is around 50MB, but there is 620MB of reported IO.

How are you measuring the network IO?

You should increase $Conf{XferLogLevel} to maybe 5 and send me the
XferLOG file for BackupPC offlist.  It obviously is not skipping
files based on attributes as you intended.  Also, please tell me
exactly where you made the change to remove --ignore-times.  I need
to check the side effects of that change.

BackupPC will be slower than native rsync for various reasons (more disk
seeking as hardlinked pool files over time tend to get spread across the
disk, compression overhead, perl vs compiled C).  But it shouldn't be
this much worse.  Let's take this off line to understand what is going
on.

Craig