Les Mikesell wrote:
> Timothy J. Massey wrote:
>
>> Some time ago, someone e-mailed a script that performed a dd/netcat in
>> an rsync-like manner:  it hashed blocks of the disk and if they matched
>> between the two sides they were not sent.  If they didn't, the block was
>> sent.  The idea was to limit the amount of data that would be sent in a
>> dd to the relative minimum amount of data that has changed.
>>
>> I've tried and tried to find this thing, but I just plain cannot--either
>> in the list archives or anywhere else Google searches.  Does anyone have
>> such a script--or even know what I'm talking about?
>>
>> I think this might have been a home-grown script, but it would be very
>> useful, given that currently the only way to effectively clone a backup
>> server is dd, and dd'ing a 500GB partition is not exactly practical,
>> especially when only a few gig has actually changed from the last time...
>
> If you are willing to trade disk space for bandwidth, you could dd a
> snapshot of the partition to a file locally, then rsync the file to a
> remote copy.  You'll need twice the space on the remote side if you use
> rsync's default behavior of building a complete new copy before
> replacing the old.

Is it possible to just rsync the raw disk device? I don't see the point
of a dd snapshot, unless you can't get rsync to read from a block
device. It certainly can't write to a block device, which is why rsync
really won't work.

But, why do you really need to clone a raw disk instead of just rsyncing
the content? A raw device copy means that you will end up synchronizing
deleted file fragments, and you will need to have the filesystem unmounted.

Joe