On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Bryan Keadle (.net)
<bkea...@keadle.net> wrote:
> Can BackupPC's data pool (/var/lib/BackupPC) be a CIFS mount, or must it be
> a block device?  I'm thinking it requires a block device due to the
> hardlinks/inodes BackupPC depends on, and I'm not sure that a cifs-mounted
> folder gives you that ability.

I think CIFS (as unix extensions to SMB) technically handles hardlinks
when the source system is unix/linux and the underlying filesystem
supports them.   However I wouldn't expect this capability to be very
well tested, because in that scenario everyone would use NFS anyway.
And in the backuppc case it would be much more sensible to just run
the program on the box with the drives.  If you are thinking of one of
those small NAS devices that don't support NFS, I wouldn't count on
it.

    lesmikes...@gmail.com