On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Timothy J Massey <tmas...@obscorp.com> wrote:

> All of that was clearly outlined at the top of the e-mail:  4 x 2TB
> Seagate SATA drives in RAID-5 (using md, which I''m not sure I stated
> originally).

Raid5 has its own reasons for bad write performance.  You sort-of make
up for it with 8+ drives in an array, but with 4 you've basically made
all the heads wait for the slowest and forced a read-update-write
cycle on everything less than a raid block in size.  And with md, the
parity update is probably going to be clocked as CPU, not device i/o
time.   Keep this in mind when comparing backuppc vs. native rsync -
backuppc is storing metatdata in different places, updating multiple
directory entries, etc.  That translates to more small writes.  For
the extreme case, consider a native rsync of an unchanged tree - no
writes at all, where backuppc will build a new directory tree and
touch the link count in every inode.

> That's fairly bad news for me, then.  These are embedded-style
> motherboards, and upgrading to a >3GHz Xeon processor is not an option...
> :(

There is not just a little bit of difference between a dual-core box
and the new xeons.  I don't have benchmarks, but they are insanely
faster.    Throwing some more RAM at it might help a little by
permitting more read-ahead and write buffering but probably just a
little if you aren't seeing much wait time now.

> That's my next step.  When I upgraded from my old VIA-based servers, I
> (accidentally) left compression on, and thought the new, dual-core, faster
> and more efficient processor would be OK with this.  That may have been my
> biggest mistake.  (Honestly, I've already found other areas that make me
> think that my original distain for compression might have been
> well-justified!  :) )

I don't think it will matter that much once you have passed the 2
fulls to get cached checksums.  After that you'll only be
compressing/uncompressing content with changes.

      lesmikes...@gmail.com