On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Timothy J Massey <tmas...@obscorp.com> wrote:

> Fortunately, BackupPC is a "backup of the backup" right now, and is not
> expected to be used for real.  Yet.  That's why I can take the time and try
> to actually solve the problem, rather than apply band-aids.
>
> But that will likely end in November, if not sooner.

It is more than a band-aid to have a warm-spare disk ready to pop in
instead of waiting for a 3TB restore even with reasonable performance.
 Be sure everyone knows what they are losing.

> I'm not.  I've got two of these new boxes built.  In both cases, they have
> 2-4% wait time when doing a backup.  One is a RAID-5 and one is a RAID-6.

Can you test one as RAID10?  Or something that doesn't make the disks
wait for each other and likely count the time against the CPU?

> Might it have something to do with md?  Could the time that would normally
> be considered wait time for BackupPC be counted as CPU time for md?  That
> doesn't seem logical to me, but I can say that there just isn't any wait
> time on these systems.

Not sure, but I am sure that raid5/6 is a bad fit for backuppc
although good for capacity.

> > Mine seem to track the target host disk speed more than anything else.
> >  The best I see is   208GB with a full time of 148 minutes.  But that
> > is with backuppc running as a VM on the East coast backing up a target
> > in California and no particular tuning for efficiency.  Compression is
> > on and no checksum caching.
>
> That's the same settings I'm using.  But that's about double the
> performance I'm getting.  247GB in 340 minutes, or about 12MB/s.

I see more like that when backing up slower targets - the rsync
protocol probably isn't very good about overalapping the read/compare
while walking the tree with the block-checksum comparison so you add
up every little delay at either end.  Are you sure the target has no
other activity happening during the backup?

     lesmikes...@gmail.com