Hi,
I finally ended up with taking a backup of config file, home made script,
etc and remove completely the backuppc packages, do some manual cleanup of
remaining files and removing the backuppc user and then reinstall it. Then,
edit the config file to add some path, copy the hosts and hosts's backup
definition, re-regenerate the ssh key and copy it to the root home folder
(using ssh-copy-id -p 22 -i /var/lib/BackupPC/.ssh/id_rsa.pub root@<remote
host>), fix the backup destination permissions and voila! Everything seems
to work fine right now.

Romain.