On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 23:29:58 -0000
Jamie Burchell <ja...@ib3.co.uk> wrote:

> Because you'll seldom find any good advice that advocates doing
> anything as root.

You misread it.

Doing stuffs as root when it can be done by a regular user, or a sudo
user _can_ be a risk (although I don't know any real admin that hasn't
at least one or two consoles opened as root.)

Everybody with a large practice of Linux has been goofing at least one
time - I made a rm -r * as root on the root of the master disk (thanks
BPC !), but you can also do tough shit as a user (such as rm -r ~ /dir
watch the space between ~ and /dir, meaning you're removing your whole
$HOME + /dir !)

And in the particular scheme of BPC, where's the risk?
root does launch rsync and recover files or parts of files into a
controlled, so what?
This isn't a _console_ risky line command order, this is part of a known
automatic process !

In short: being root and (especially) removing directories is bad, on
the other hand, using root as part of a controlled process doesn't mean
that you'll be hacked or whatever - furthermore, doing some stuffs as
root is compulsory for some maintenance work.

Rule of thumb: don't get creative with a well known (and described)
process.