From: Michael Stowe [mailto:michael.st...@member.mensa.org]
Sent: Thursday, October 4, 2018 9:15 AM
To: General list for user discussion, questions and support
<backuppc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Cc: Jaime Fenton <jaime.fen...@animallogic.ca>
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Troubleshooting assistance for Bad Transfer

On 2018-10-03 16:17, Jaime Fenton wrote:
> I thought I had a breakthrough as I found that for whatever reason,
> the backuppc was using the local server account and not the service
> account that has access to the smb share for the computer. I have
> confirmed that  the BackupPC domain account does have access to the
> files and folders that we list..
>
> I've now cleared that up and raised the verbosity level.
>
> However, I'm still seeing errors and having backups fail. I do need
> some assistance getting to the bottom of it because there does not
> appear to be a clear reason it's failing.
>
> I've included the xfer log and the xfer error log in case that shines
> some light on what's going on.
>
> Thanks,
> Jaime

I'll try to break it down:
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED listing \Users\<my
username>\AppData\Local\Application Data\*

In brief, the smbclient uses the "execute" bit to determine whether it can
traverse a directory, in addition to windows and smb permissions.
Windows doesn't have an execute bit (of course) which can lead to some weird
symptoms.  At any rate, this is typically inherited permission issues, so start
there.  This is testable by using smbclient to navigate to the directory and
typing "ls," then correcting permissions on the Windows side, then typing "ls"
in smbclient again until it works.

NT_STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION opening remote file \Users\<my
username>\AppData\Local\Comms\UnistoreDB\store.jfm

This is an open file.  Some files in Windows are *always* open, and you'll have
to either exclude them, or shut down the program that has them open.

NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL listing \Users\<my
username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User
Data\Default\data_reduction_proxy_leveldb\*

This is a different level of error than NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED --
basically, it means that the directory refuses to be browseable by SMB,
which generally indicates locks or transience rather than permission
errors.  Exclude this directory.

Error reading file \Users\<my username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User
Data\Default\data_reduction_proxy_leveldb\LOCK :
NT_STATUS_FILE_LOCK_CONFLICT

This means that this file is not just open, but locked.  You'll have to
shut down whatever has it open (in this case, Chrome, obviously) or
exclude it.

NT_STATUS_DELETE_PENDING opening remote file \Users\<my
username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\ThumbCacheToDelete\thmC27C.tmp

This one might be obvious, but you're trying to back up files that are
in the process of being deleted.  This usually means temp, cache, or
other transient files.  Exclude the directory.

--

A lot of these look like cache files or transient files, which I can't
imagine are worth backing up.  The registry also appears, which *cannot*

T: +1 604 398 4800 (main)
D: +1 604 398 4813 (direct)
E: jaime.fen...@animallogic.ca

840 Cambie Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 2P6
CANADA

  [LinkedIn] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/animal-logic>   [Facebook]
<https://www.facebook.com/Animal-Logic-129284263808191/>   [Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/AnimalLogic>   [Instagram]
<https://www.instagram.com/animallogicstudios/>

[Animal Logic]<http://www.animallogic.com>

www.animallogic.com<http://www.animallogic.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVILEGE NOTICE
This email is intended only to be read or used by the addressee. It is
confidential and may contain privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient, any use, distribution, disclosure or copying of this email
is strictly prohibited. Confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this
communication are not waived or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery to you.
If you have received this email in error, please delete it and notify us
immediately by telephone or email.