On 2018-10-04 11:28, Jaime Fenton wrote:
Ok, so that breakdown with suggestions seems to have worked, I'm now
getting successful backups. I suspect some of this was it was hitting
local links that weren't going anywhere and getting caught in a loop.

Is there any way to set a variable that can point to the username
that's set in HOSTS? Ie if I wanted to backup files:
- Users\usernamegoeshere\Appdata\
- Users\usernamegoeshere\Documents\
- Users\usernamegoeshere\Downloads\
- Users\usernamegoeshere\Desktop\

Could it be possible to make something like $username to replace
"usernamegoeshere" so that it pulls that name automatically? (this
would make templating a lot easier IMO but I may not have thought of
downsides)

Thanks,
Jaime

For what it's worth, I use wildcards for that particular issue, e.g.:

Users\*\Appdata\

That should work for either exclusions or inclusions -- however, it doesn't help much for multiuser systems, since it will (naturally) try to grab every user's directories. In practice, it means I get some mostly empty directories for built-in accounts or old accounts, but at least get what I'm looking for.