Jeff,

Unfortunately BackupPC_tarCreate doesn't support acls.  Over the years
different flavors of tar supported different archive formats for certain
extensions (eg, long file names etc).  The POSIX standard for PAX headers
unified some of the those disparate formats, but didn't define acl or xattr
support.

Over the last few years it does look like GNU tar provides support for
acls, but using PAX headers that are not standard.  Looking at the tar
source, it uses headers like SCHILY.acl.access, SCHILY.xattr etc.
Supporting those headers appears to require the acls and xattrs to be
converted to descriptive strings.  Currently BackupPC rsync treats acls and
xattr as binary blobs of data that it doesn't need to interpret.  So
unfortunately it would be quit difficult to add acl and xattr support to
BackupPC_tarCreate.

Craig