Hello Iosif,

Hooray, I have figured it out. It took me a few hours and more than 60 full
backups, but I found the cause.

I did what you recommended. Started backing up just /home, then added a
directory to that and so on.
I was able to backup most of the system without showing a byte of difference.
With /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/lib, /var/log, etc. smaller differences were shown,
but I expected that.
These were also only differences in the range of several hundred bytes or a few
kilobytes. Then in the end only a handful of directories remained, these were
to blame.

Here as an overview (I renamed the path names a bit to avoid drawing
conclusions about my company or the software I use):

/usr/projects/blah/master/
/usr/projects/blah/clients/

The master directory contains several HTML pages, PNG images and other media
resources. Together about 14GB according to "du -sh --apparent-size
/usr/projects/blah/master/".
The clients directory has several subdirectories, one for each client of this
software. The same files are in there as in the master directory.
All hardlinks to files in the master directory. Some of the files contained
have up to 37 hardlinks.

If you now take the directories individually and add up their sizes from "du
-sh --apparent-size", you get exactly the value that BackupPC v4 shows me.
If, on the other hand, you calculate the size of both directories at the same
time, for example because you specify the parent directory, you get the value
from BackupPC v3.

My understanding and conclusion is now:
BackupPC v3 shows the size of the backup as it would be restored to disk. With
all hardlinks intact and used.
BackupPC v4, on the other hand, shows the size of the backup as if all the
hardlinks had been resolved into individual standalone copies of the files.

I think with this knowledge in mind, I can consider my troubleshooting to be
over.

Iosif, I would like to thank you and everyone else who has responded here for
your efforts, time and patience.

Greetings
Stefan