On Friday 29 April 2005 11:21, Russell Howe wrote:
> Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am sending this to provide an update on the development status of
> > Bacula. Recently, I have been struggling to find the motivation to finish
> > the Python implementation in Bacula -- the going is slow, but progressing
> > just the same. The slow going is probably because I am not getting
> > feedback.
>
> Well here's some feedback then :)
>
> After misplacing our ARCServe CD, but only realising after uninstalling
> ARCServe in order to reinstall elsewhere I urgently needed an alternative!
>
> I'd seen bacula enter the Debian listings, and thought I'd give it a
> try. Configuration was fairly straightforward (mostly due to the
> excellently maintained manual) and I had it all set up and running,
> backing up 3 Windows servers to a pair of DLT8000 tabletop drives on an
> old Proliant 1000 (dual P133) in about 5 hours (with interruptions). Add
> a couple of weeks to fine-tune newbie mistakes and it's now running
> smoothly without any manual intervention needed (to begin with, I was
> issuing mount and unmount commands by hand every day).
>
> Bacula's a nice bit of work, and my only gripe is that it takes at least
> an hour to prune the database every day - not bacula's fault, just that
> the machine is slow, the disks are slower and I'm using the sqlite
> backend. It also seems to want to do database operations at times when
> it should really be getting on with the backup, which is a little
> irritating. ARCserve had a special "prune database" job you could
> schedule which would make sure the database was pruned at a set time.

Well, Bacula has the same capability, though I haven't actually tried it.
First make sure your AutoPrune is set to "no" in the Client resource. Second
make sure you don't have "Prune Jobs = yes" or "Prune Files = yes" in your
Job resource.

Then make a copy of the Job resource(s) that you would like Pruned at a
different time, change the Name = xxx to something different such as
xxx-prune,  change the "Type = Backup" to "Type = Admin", add the following
two directives: "Prune Jobs = yes"  and "Prune Files = yes", and set a
schedule for the new xxx-prune job.  You may need to remove one or two Backup
specific resources to make the Admin job resource work, but I don't think so.
Finally, be happy and let us know how it works. :-)

Kern

  (">
  /\
  V_V