hi folks,

I am having an issue with automatic volume recycling, esp. with the
time it takes to prune the oldest volume to allow it to be recycled.

Our setup:

- bacula 1.38.9 und Debian Linux (compiled from Source)

- MySQL 5.0.20

- Database size: 10G (Total clients:  27, Total bytes stored: 6.89 TB
  Total files:  3146301, according to bacula-web)

- HP Ultrium 3 tape library with 8 tapes, each tape holds about 450GB

- Server RAM: 2 GB, CPU: 1 GHz PIII, used exclusively for Bacula

Problem: When bacula prunes the oldest volume, it takes several hours
and apparently never finishes (I have not tested this because the
server is already in production, and we cannot afford to have Bacula
sit there for half a day doing nothing but pruning while all backups
are on hold ;-).

For instance, this morning Bacula started its backups at 00:35 and at
7:19, it decided it needs a new volume, to it decides to prune the
oldest volume. Over two hours later, it still sits there issueing
"pruning oldest volume" messages to the console every couple of
minutes, while server load is below 1 (0.32-0.5 according to top), and
apparently not getting anywhere.

Once I decide to purge the volume using the bconsole "purge" command,
it finishes in less than five minutes and the volume is marked as
"append" in bacula-web; however the backup job that's waiting for an
appendable volume never resumes.

Database performance is apparently fine as we regulary get 10MB/sec
write backup performance over the net and over 20MB/sec when backing
up to tape directly from disk.

Question: How long should bacula take to prune a volume successfully
from the catalog and recycle it? If I've missed any crucial info
please let me know.

Here's the pool definition:

Pool {
  Name = Default
  Maximum Volumes = 7
  Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Volume Retention = 6 months
  Accept Any Volume = yes
}

Volume Retention is set to 6 months as we like to archive tapes offsite
every once in a while, but I wonder wether this is really necessary (I
was hoping not to have to use "bscan" should we need to restore files
from some archived volume).

As it stands, Bacula backup is a manual process for now as one has to
be constantly on the watch to see wether there are still appendable
volumes available or wether one has to purge a volume manually. I'm
temped to try the obsolete "purge oldest volume" thingy, but the docs
tell me this is not a good idea ;-)

Again, if there's any information mission please let me know and I'll
be happy to provide what I can.

All the best & thanks much in advance for your help,

Uwe

--
Uwe Schuerkamp, NIONEX GmbH (http://www.nionex.com/)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Tel: +49 (0)5241 / 80 10 66 FAX: / 806 23 38