This foray has gotten very frustrating for me.  Please excuse if the
following replies seem inflammatory, but it comes from an honest
desire to _really_ help.

> That postgres db is being used on the network all day long.
> - I use it from web apps through jdbc
> - I use it from pgadmin on a windows laptop
> - I use it from custom softwares on desktops
> This problem arises only when I use bconsole on Bacula and the Director
> is separated from the DB.
> Everything works fine only if the Director works on localhost DB.
> In the logs, I did not put the Director's startup traces because
> they were a lot and they all went ok.

Please put some effort in to formatting your emails.  I'm tired of fixing
your line wrapping.  72 chars is the standard.

Now.  I'm going to assume 1 of two things:
1) You're a super expert on both Bacula and PostgreSQL.  This is evident
   because you can look at logs and _know_ that certain parts are not
   important because you _know_ that those sections show normal
   behaviour.  You're so smart that you refuse to send those sections
   of the logs in spite of multiple requests for them.  Obviously,
   there's absolutely no chance that you could be mistaken, since
   the system is running so smoothly.
2) There's something in the logs that you find embarrassing.

If #1 is the case, then just fix the problem yourself.
If #2 is the case, then I have no advice.

> I really suspect this is something coming out only when I use bconsole.

While this could be true, I find it unlikely and not indicated by the
evidence you're providing.  bconsole talks to the director and the
director talks to the database.  It appears as if bconsole is able to
contact the director, and the errors seem to indicate a connection
problem between the director and the database.  The fact that this
only occurs when you use the director is a silly benchmark, since the
_only_ other thing you've managed to get the director to do is start.

> I can't make a real test now, but because Director starts up very happy
> with the DB, I'm pretty sure that it would also run the scheduled
> backups happily.

Those are some outlandish assumptions you're making there.  If the
director fails on a "status storage" then I find it difficult to
imagine that it could succeed in backing anything up.

> Because I cannot use bconsole, then I cannot create volumes, and
> cannot verify this.

Yes, you can.

You could create autolabeled disk volumes in the config, create a test
backup job, schedule it to run frequently and you'd find out very
quickly.

> Someone can explain me what happens when I use "list volumes" on
> bconsole? there must be some difference in the way the DB is accessed
> at startup and when I use bconsole....

No.  bconsole -> director, then director -> db in the same way it
does anything else.

You've still yet to provide any kind of network debugging.  For
crying out loud, do a "tcpdump -s0 -w /some/file port 5432" during
the failure and post the resultant file somewhere.

And, quite frankly, the last several emails have amounted to you
politely saying, "I don't agree with your advice, and therefore,
won't take it."  Based on this, I'm tempted to stop giving it.  If
you know so much about how bacula works, why are you still stuck?

If you want any _real_ help, you're going to have to post some
serious information somewhere.  It's amazing that the open source
community is generally willing to wade through such data and
provide assistance for free.  But I find it even more amazing that
you repeated _refuse_ to take advantage of such free debugging.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.