On Monday 13 November 2006 14:57, Alan Brown wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>
> > What I like about the agreement with FSFE is that it covers to a large
extent
> > this point. As it stands today, I'm not really much in a position to
defend
> > my copyright from a financial point of view, from a legal point of view,
or
> > from a point of view of motivation (i.e. enduring the agravation of a
> > lawsuit).
>
> To put it bluntly anyone who violates the licensing agreement is a
> software pirate.
>
> Software piracy is a criminal activity in most countries, usually with
> some threshold for enforcement - but in the case of embedded systems
> that's trivially reached

Well, I share your frustrations, but I'm not too sure that a copyright
violation is a criminal offense.

Even if it is a criminal offense, I suspect that most copyright violations
(not just software) are resolved through civil proceedings.  In any case, if
it is a criminal offense, I suspect that one would have a hard time getting
the judicial system to accept/investigate a criminal copyright complaint in
civil law countries like Switzerland except in the most wildly flagrant
cases  ...

> So far there has been no criminal enforcement of GPL license violations
> (surprise surprise) but I get the impression that various taiwanese makers
> are edging ever-closer to it....

What do you mean?  Are you saying that Taiwanese makers are in violation of
license agreements?