On 31 Jan 2007 at 10:38, Chris Hoogendyk wrote:

> Dan Langille wrote:

> >> Port conflicts are a known annoyance, but maybe it would help to
> >> disseminate the information about Bacula usage, for example here:
> >>
> >>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers
> >>

> > The Bacula ports are listed there.
> >
> > And Bacula is listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacula
> >

> >> Should the need to introduce incompatible changes in the protocol
> >> arise, which I guess would be Bacula 3.0, maybe a different set of
> >> default ports could be considered ? HP networked printers are
> >> fairly common.
> >>

> > Bacula is registered with IANA, which is the definite source as well
> > as listed in the protocol database:
> >
> >    http://www.isecom.info/cgi-local/protocoldb/browse.dsp
> >
> > Yes, I know it does not make much difference given that HP did and
> > does not do the right thing.
>
> I passed an earlier message from this thread along to my network
> expert, because we have had some complaints about recent HP stuff. I'm
> only casually up on that stuff.
>
> I was surprised by his answer, but not by his depth of knowledge. So,
> I'm passing it along just so you all have it. Please note that lprng
> and cups are two of the most widely used printing systems. Mac OS X
> uses cups, and lprng is frequently recommended as a replacement system
> for people in linux/unix environments who want some added capability.

I just spoke with the curator of the protocol database[1] who pointed
out a few problems with the opinion you were given.  The key points
are shown below.

[1] - http://www.isecom.info/cgi-local/protocoldb/browse.dsp

>  > Chris, I would hope someone would point out to the list that ONLY
> ports < 1024 historically
>  > are "well known ports", and those < 4096 are sort of registered.
>  So
> far as I am aware there is
>  > no binding registration for ports > 4096.  But far worse is the
>  fact

binding registration?  I wonder what he means by that.  IANA is the
official word on this matter. The Bacula ports *have* been correctly
registered with the appropriate authority.  I refer to :

where I find:

###
The Registered Ports are those from 1024 through 49151

DCCP Registered ports SHOULD NOT be used without IANA registration.
The registration procedure is defined in [RFC4340], Section 19.9.
###

HP did not register the ports.  Bacula did.  Search for Bacula at
that URL for confirmation.

> that not just HP printers
>  > use port 9100.  So do almost all printers which use the idea of a
> "service port", and this is
>  > supported by default in lprng and in cups.  If bacula is on port
>  9100
> that is a totally bad idea.

I'd like to know his reasons for a "bad idea".  :)

>  > Bacula ought to have gotten a port registered by IANA in the
>  reserved
> range rather than just
>  > grabbing ports that have long been in use for printing.

Now I know he's not researching before speaking.  The above URL
contains proof.

>  >
>  > > just thought you would find the comments about HP printers at the
>
> end of this interesting.
>  > >
>  > > I don't get why a printer would be "probing" -- it should be a
> service, just sitting there
>  > > responding to requests and taking jobs (except when it starts up
> and needs to know its
>  > > assigned information).

I am quite interested in your network person's reaction to this.  :)

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php