On 16 Jul 2007 at 22:19, Francisco Rodrigo Cortinas Ma wrote:

> - In the fact that you need funding, the right way is to ask for
> "donations". This will remain valid as long as the project remains
> "small".

We have asked for donations.  In a prevoius email, Kern mentioned
this has been about $8000 since 2000.  That's about $4 a day.  Given
the number of users, it's pretty clear that donations don't work.

> - The case you have is that you do a lot of work to provide
> binaries, and people does not "donate" the amount you need to
> support the project. System operating licenses are not free.....

I do not understand your point here.

> - Other thing is that the binaries you support are not to all the
> OSs that people use out there, that is, i think that almost
> everybody will compile their own binaries (except for windows, i
> thin) for their oss. Personally, we use AIX and HPUX (and
> others...), oss that you dont provide a binarie for them.

So this step won't really affect you.

> >From the point of view of the customer, if you want users like me
> (im not a user now, but we are planning to use your software) to pay
> for the use of the software, one of the major thing that move us to
> use the software (the fact that is free) will go away, and there are
> other commercial software that do the same that your software do,
> and have much more experience doing marketing of their products.

People can use the software for free.  It is just that we will stop
building binaries.  Others are free to build binaries.  In that
regard, nothing has changed.  The software remains freely available
for anyone to use.

> What i want to say is that if you want to, please put a fee on the
> support of the software, that is, online fixing problems, answering
> customer questions, etc, not on the use of it. Im glad to say that
> im willing you to grow up this company, and give us support on the
> future releases of the tool, but at a reasonable fee......:).

Using the software is and will continue to be free.

> Again, its an impressive software.

Thank you.

All we're asking is for the companies that are saving thousands of
dollars to consider donating a relatively small portion of these
annual savings.

--
Dan Langille - http://www.langille.org/
Available for hire: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php