On Wednesday 08 August 2007 15:48, Dan Langille wrote:
> With the upcoming release of 2.2.0, we should publicize Bat as much
> as possible.  I'll write something up in advance.   It will be
> similar to the previous press release:
>
>   http://www.bacula.org/about/press/presskit200.html.en
>
> Then I'll be looking for help with two things:
>
>   - translation - into whatever languages we can
>   - distribution - post it to relevant websites
>
> In the meantime, suggestions for major highlights in this release are
> very welcome.  I read through the ChangeLog, but the only big thing I
> know of is Bat.

Yes, bat is quite big in both number of lines of code and in what it can do.
That said Dirk and I have *lots* of ideas on how to improve it.  This is just
a first release.  So as mentioned, bat is indeed a big feature, but as Michel
Meyers has kindly pointed out, there are other very significant features as
well.  This is probably the biggest release ever, not so much in terms of new
features, but in terms of improvements and sheer lines of code added.

Concerning the 2.2.0 release in general.  I was going to send out a Bacula
Status email today, but I'll do it here.

I am planning to release Bacula 2.2.0 this weekend unless something unexpected
turns up.  There are still bugs in the code, but all the open bugs (if I am
not mistaken) are old bugs from prior releases.  Since I need a break from
working on bugs and the current code, IMO is at least as good as 2.0.3, and
almost certainly *much* better, it is time to release it and deal with any
details that come up when they are reported.

The current code base is probably the best ever tested thanks to the beta
testers who have tested it on FreeBSD, Solaris, and Mac OSX.

The only remaining task I have prior to release is a bit more testing,
specifically stress testing with multiple simultaneous backups from multiple
clients, and writing up the final Release Notes.

I'll try to prepare the Release notes in detail in the next day or two so that
you can work on a Press Release.

=== another annoying problem ======

One little problem that is hanging over our head is that I recently learned
that the GPL is far more restrictive than I had imagined because it does not
permit linking GPLed code with OpenSSL, something that Bacula does.
Unfortunately resolving this problem is not a simple matter of making an
exception to the GPL because there are a small number of files in the Bacula
code that are GPLed and copyrighted by other people, so I am unable to make
such an exception for OpenSSL because I cannot change their license.

Most distros don't really care about these "minor" license details, but Debian
does, so I am unsure if Debian will be able to release 2.2.0 with OpenSSL
support.  I am working on getting license modifications from one of the
copyright holders (FSF) but I am not sure if it is possible or the timing.  I
am also in the process of rewriting those files so that we can eliminate the
problem -- however, implementing the new code cannot be done before the
release of 2.2.0 unless we want to hold it up 3 or 4 months, which I don't
think is a good idea.

Best regards,

Kern