Greetings..

I'm using Bacula in an all-disk based environment, using a disk based
autochanger script.  I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a magic recipe
for dealing with the compression issues that are inherent with this type of
strategy..

What I'm talking about mostly is that bacula-fd performance with software
compression on is pretty slow, which I think I've read can be attributed to the
single threaded compression algorithm that is being used.. I would much rather
stream the data from the hosts uncompressed and then compress it once it
reaches the SD, since my backup server tends to be fairly beefy compared to
many of my hosts..

What have other people done to combat this issue?  Is it worth my time
investigating some of the virtual tape library software out there for Linux,
which presumably implements reasonable compression on the virtual tape lib
side?  Or are people perhaps using a transparent compression filesystem with
good results?

Just trying to get a feel for what people have found works.. need to reduce the
window to backup each host (i.e. up the throughput from the 2-3MB/sec I'm
getting) but don't want to sacrifice the space of doing completely without
compression :)

Thanks!

Joe