On 08/09/2010 12:39 AM, Joseph Dickson wrote:
> Greetings..
>
> I'm using Bacula in an all-disk based environment, using a disk based
> autochanger script.  I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a magic recipe
> for dealing with the compression issues that are inherent with this type of
> strategy..
>
> What I'm talking about mostly is that bacula-fd performance with software
> compression on is pretty slow, which I think I've read can be attributed to
> the single threaded compression algorithm that is being used.. I would much
> rather stream the data from the hosts uncompressed and then compress it once
> it reaches the SD, since my backup server tends to be fairly beefy compared
> to many of my hosts..
>
> What have other people done to combat this issue?  Is it worth my time
> investigating some of the virtual tape library software out there for Linux,
> which presumably implements reasonable compression on the virtual tape lib
> side?  Or are people perhaps using a transparent compression filesystem with
> good results?
>
> Just trying to get a feel for what people have found works.. need to reduce
> the window to backup each host (i.e. up the throughput from the 2-3MB/sec I'm
> getting) but don't want to sacrifice the space of doing completely without
> compression :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Joe

Hi Joe,
During the time the SD compression possibility exist, I'm using compression
also on certain windows server.
Some tests have prove to me that using a GZIP2 param in fileset is sufficient
to obtain a good ratio between speed and
compression. The normal GZIP set gzip to it's default compression level 6.
Which consume more cpu (and time for a 1 ou 0.5% gain
on total bytes )

This is what I obtain for a low-end server Win2K3 2GB Ram (P4 Dualcore 3.Ghz)
with 2 sata raid soft harddrive.

Client:                 "chesne-fd" 3.0.2 (18Jul09) Linux,Cross-compile,Win32
  FileSet:                "FileSet-Chesne-Full" 2008-05-11 15:52:17
  Pool:                   "Pool_FileWeeklyCHESNE" (From Job resource)
  Catalog:                "MyCatalog" (From Client resource)
  Storage:                "Store_FSCHESNE_WEEK" (From Job resource)
  Scheduled time:         07-Aug-2010 18:00:00
  Start time:             07-Aug-2010 18:01:46
  End time:               07-Aug-2010 18:31:01
  Elapsed time:           29 mins 15 secs
  FD Files Written:       75,110
  SD Files Written:       75,110
  FD Bytes Written:       9,931,147,048 (9.931 GB)
  SD Bytes Written:       9,945,142,186 (9.945 GB)
  Rate:                   5658.8 KB/s
  Software Compression:   46.3 %
  VSS:                    yes
  Encryption:             no
  Accurate:               no

But it really depend on what type of data you have.
My data on linux compress only at 10% and typical speed drop from a 40MB/s to
18MB/s with a gzip2 level.

--

Bruno Friedmann  br...@ioda-net.ch

Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch